Monday, April 7, 2014

Week 53 (April 7, 2014 Parque Chacabuco, Argentina)

Dearest Family and Friends,
The week after conference always seems like such an uplifting one! All of the things that we have recently learned and felt are in our hearts and minds and our desires to improve and become better are more apparent. I am grateful for all I was able to learn from general conference and for the things I was able to feel from the Spirit. It is always so hard when conference ends, but also great because we now have the opportunity to apply the things that we have learned and continue preparing our hearts for the next conference! In preach my gospel it says that when we feel the spirit, we are feeling a little piece of what eternal life with God and Jesus Christ and our families feels like. And that we experience a part of the joy that we will feel in this life. I was able to feel this during conference and it helped my spirits so much. I know that God speaks to us through His servants and that when we are following them, we are following God.

I felt strongly the great blessing that we have to have the Gospel in our lives. I was thinking about our investigator Alejandra that was with us as we were sitting there listening to conference and that she has lived 20 years without the knowledge of the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I thought of how hard that would be and that we are so blessed to have this knowledge and to have been able to live it and receive the blessings from it throughout our lives. I am so grateful that Alejandra now has this opportunity and that she can know experience these blessings and have the joy that the Gospel brings!

I felt a stronger desire to share what I know with more of God´s children because they need to know of Christ´s Gospel in order to return to Him! I love being a missionary and sharing these truths with everyone! There are many things that I need to improve in order to to be a greater instrument in the Lord´s hands and for that i am grateful for the Atonement of Christ which makes progression and improvement possible. I am grateful to be a member of this Church and for your examples of how to live it and love it. Thank you!
I really enjoyed Elder Nelson´s talk and how he talked about Jesus Christ and His Atonement and how it is something that we will always be able to depend on and use. I also really enjoyed the talk by Elder Packer I think it was on obedience and that when we love God, we are obedient. I thought about that for a while and realized that i need to be more obedient to love God more and love God more to be more obedient. It was a great conference!
Alejandra was baptized on Sunday after the first session of conference!! Once again, it was a process getting everything ready but in the end everything worked out and it was a beautiful service! I have really learned on my mission that no matter how prepared someone is to be baptized and confirmed a member of this church, Satan will always try to make something happen so that they cannot be baptized. But when we work hard and show Him our faith and diligence, His grace makes it all possible! The members and elders in our ward helped so much to make it a great day for Alejandra and the Spirit was felt in her service. I know that she felt the Spirit as well and that she will continue to progress and develop her testimony of Jesus Christ. She was so prepared and so ready and I know that she will teach her son that she is pregnant with the same principles that she has learned, and that he too will receive the blessings of the Gospel! Also, Alejandra´s sister came to her baptism and we feel that she too felt the Spirit. As far as I know, she was baptized in another church and has really changed her life for the better and is now trying to be closer to God and Jesus Christ. She was baptized but of course did not receive the gift of the holy ghost and we explained this to her and she was very pensive about it. Tonight we are going over to their house and will teach the Holy Ghost and she will be there so we are hoping that she will accept it and feel the Spirit telling her it is true! Mom, Alejandra´s full name is Maria Alejandra Solis Rocha :)
And just for fun, this week we ate with the Stake Presidents family (Catalas). The wife is Chinese and so we had chinese food. I had sushi for the first time in my life and tofu as well. It wasn´t too bad of an experience but I will never do it again if I can help it haha.
Thanks so much for all you are doing and for helping God´s work where you are. I know that this is Christ´s church and that he is directing it. We can feel Him walking with us and I know that through the power and influence of the spirit, each person can come to know that this is only way to God. Love you all so much and hope you have a great week! :)
Con Amor, 
Hermana Syphus 


Alejandra's baptism April 6, 2014  
Hermana Lobo , Me, Alejandra and Yoselin 


She also emailed this little tidbit:
I missed quite a bit of conference because it was raining on Saturday and caused some problems. We missed all of Hollands talk :( I love my mission, but one thing I will be happy to have at home is conference without missing the talks! As a missionary, we also need to bring our investigators to the sessions if they can and so that also takes some time. We ate lunch at members house right before conference on Sunday and here is starts at 1 and 5 and we ate at 11. So we were rushing out in order to get our investigators. We ended up being like 30 minutes late to the conference and got there as Pres. Uchtdorf was finishing his talk. So I didn´t get to hear that one either :( It is really hard for me to miss conference and I was pretty bummed but hopefully the ensign will come and that we will get it so that we can read it. Although, this mission doesn´t allowed much of liahona and ensign reading because we should only be reading the book of mormon, bible, and preach my gospel. I think I told you that before but not sure. We shouldn´t even be reading our missionary library books. But anyway, what I saw of conference was amazing as usual! Kendyl is sure amazing! What a special girl. Also, I watched all of conference in spanish this time and I was able to understand it without a problem! I was super surprised but very happy! They told us that the chapel here in Chacabuco was going to have it in english but they ended up not having it and we didn´t have time to travel to another chapel so we stayed and watched it in spanish and it was just fine! I did miss hearing the sweet voices of the prophet and apostles though. It is just not the same in spanish. But the spirit was felt and that is all that matters. The music was amazing as usual! Man i realized how much I am missing music! It was so nice to hear and enjoy and it was just a wonderful weekend like you said!

No comments:

Post a Comment