Monday, July 1, 2013

Week 12 (July 1, 2013 Ephrata, WA)

Why Hello Family and Friends :)
I don't actually know where to start with this last week so I am just going to begin somewhere and end somewhere and hopefully all the information in between makes sense. I don't know how organized it is going to be though so sorry if I confuse you haha.
First off, WE HAD A BAPTISM ON SUNDAY!! This was the first baptism that I have witnessed on my mission and it was SO powerful and wonderful. Her name is Neshia Farag and she is 17 years old. She was found by my old companion Sister Pendleton and her comp Sis. Smith. Neshia was very prepared by the Lord. Her boyfriend is a member and his family is so awesome. They have helped prepare Neshia so much and we as missionaries still had to teach her the lessons but she knew everything already. She is the sweetest girl and her spirit is unbelievable. Yesterday when she bore her testimony at her baptism the last thing we said was, "There are many people I could thank for helping me get to this point, but I want to thank the person that has helped me more than anyone else. And that is my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ." She really did have tons of support and but made sure that everyone knew that the main reason she made this step was because of her love for Jesus Christ. That really touched me. Her baptisms was wonderful and I will never forget it. I only taught her a few times but those few times were very special. I actually had the opportunity to speak at her baptism.That was a great privilege for me and I was thankful for that opportunity. I always get so nervous when I have to speak but each time I do I feel so thankful because when I bear my testimony I know that it grows, just like everyone's does.So yes, that is great news from Ephrata! Oh and mom, that would be wonderful if you put her name on the board :) Thanks so much!
So the next big thing that happened was Hermana Pendlteton's departure to Peru! We got the call on Wednesday of last week from President and he said that she didn't get her visa but she has been here for so long that they are going to ship her off anyway haha. I don't know how that worked out but hopefully nothing bad happened to her. I was super sad to receive that news because she and I had only been together for about a week and it was so amazing having her as a companion. We got along great and she was a wonderful trainer. So when we got that news, President also told us that she would be leaving to Spokane on Thursday and heading to Peru on Friday in the early early morning. He told us that I would be serving with the hermanas in Quincy until they found a new companion for me. But they couldn't find a new comp for me in the Spokane mission because in a few days (today) the mission was going to change. So he said that until President Ware (new pres.) found a comp for me, I would be serving with the other hermanas. And us three would be in charge of the Quincy area AND the Ephrata area that Sis. Pendleton and I were covering. We cover three ward and Quincy sisters cover two wards and so in a nutshell we have had two areas, five area books, five wards, two cars, two homes, and lots of stress and work over the past 5 days. Haha :) CRAZY CRAZY!! But this definitely is a learning experience and I am learning that it is impossible to do everything I have to do without the Lord's help. He is answering prayers and I can feel the prayers that are being offered and I thank you all so much. We spend one day in one area and then another day in another area and we are trying to do the Lord's work in the right way. It had been very challenging but of course it is not impossible because otherwise we would not have been placed in this situation. Okay! So we just got off the phone with Pres. Ware and I guess I will be getting my new companion on Wednesday when we meet President Ware. He is coming to Ephrata and I will meet him for the first time on that day. I am very excited! This entire experience has been super crazy but in times like these is it so wonderful to know that we are not the one's that lead this work. We do not have to lead this work. It is lead by God . And that is how I know that everything will work out...no matter how crazy it seems to be haha :) 

I will quickly say something about Jakkob. We were planning on teaching his mom but she wasn't home and so we met him instead and he invited us in. He had a few friends over and so we were very impressed that he allowed us to come in. He is 17 and is into drugs and that kind of thing but he is trying to stop and is very respectful. He is hard for his mom though. We taught him the Restoration and he was very attentive and answered the questions very well. We invited him to be baptized at the end of the lesson and he said when he knew that it was true he would get baptized. It was such a wonderful experience and definitely a miracle from Heavenly Father. He even said the closing prayer and his friends were still there! They didn't participate in the lesson but that did not stop Jakkob from listening. It was very neat and he impressed with his integrity in that moment. I will let you know where that goes though! 

Thank you all so much for all you do. I love you all and I hope that you know that! It is hard to express everything on a mission because there is not much time to do it but I hope you all know that I really do appreciate your support and prayers and love! I know that this is where the Lord wants me to be and this past week has helped me develop a much greater faith and trust in Him and is timing. I am doing things that I never thought I would be able to do. But I am doing them with HIS help and with HIS strength. He is merciful and He is so loving. I love my Savior and I am so proud and blessed to be one of His missionaries. Love you all!!

Love,

Hermana Katelyn Syphus :)
Neshia Farag's baptism!! 
Hermana Rohde, Neisha, me and Hermana Mierow
 

1 comment: