Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Week 65 (June 30, 2014 Parque Chacabuco, Argentina)

Hiya Family and Friends! :)
Ah man there is lots to tell about this week. First I need to tell some background stuff so you can understand the rest. Each month we set a goal as a zone for how many people we think will be baptized and confirmed. This month our goal was 14/14. The record for this zone is 20/20. We had passed our goal of 14/14 and we still had one week left to baptize. We wanted to pass the record and set a new one! Our zone leaders are so amazing and they help our zone so much to have excitement and the energy that we need to work hard. At the beginning of the week, we received from crazy news from President Ayre. So usually before a person can be baptized, they have to have gone to church 3 times. The third sunday they attend church, they can be baptized that same sunday. But this week, President received revelation that in our areas, there were prepared people that needed to be baptized the Sunday June 29 and that they needed to be found because if they weren't baptized this Sunday, they may not have another opportunity here on the earth. So, he told us that we had permission to baptize those that were absolutely prepared with one or zero times assisting church. When our zone leaders told us this news, we thought it was crazy but very possible and we really felt that it came from God.  It gave us all great excitement and a greater desire to work and find these people that God had been preparing. We talked about how the missionaries in the scriptures taught in a matter of minutes and then baptized right away, and how we were going to be able to do that this week. We talked about in our district meeting with the zone leaders how pretty much the only thing that was different that maybe these missionaries had and that we needed to strive to have more of was faith. Because we have the same calling and authority that they had, we even have more resources than they have, but their faith made the difference. For that, I have trying this week to strengthen my faith in Christ and in His Atonement so that we would be able to find more esocigidos. Early in the week we found someone but later we had to drop her because it was not what she desired in the end. But on Friday, we received a message from a less active named Giselly that we RECENTLY have come to know and have been helping. She told us that she had a friend that we needed to meet that day and to pass by her house to meet her. We were on exchanges this day. I wasn´t in my area but my amazing companion was. They went to this less actives house and she presented us to her friend Cristina. Cristina had gone to our church various times with a great family in Uruguay. She wanted to get baptized but suddenly received news that she needed to come here to Argentina. This family gave her money to do so and told her to find the church here in Argentina. She wanted to give them back the money that they lent her but they didn't´accept it and told her instead that the only thing they wanted was her to be baptized in the LDS church. Cristina has been here for a while but never has gone to church. This past week, she found out that her friend, Giselly, was a member and told her that we would could come by and teach her. She accepted. On Friday she accepted to be baptized on Sunday. Saturday we taught her almost everything and she had her interview and passed. She was so prepared and so ready. On Sunday she was baptized a member of the church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints. :) :) :) This probably has been the greatest miracle on my mission and I know that it was God. He put everything into place. I am still amazed that it actually happened. I know that He lives and that he is preparing His children. Cristina is a miracle and we are so grateful to have been a small part of her change. If God wouldn´t have helped us find this less active, we would not have had this opportunity. And if President wouldn´t have had this revelation this week, Cristina wouldn´t have been able to be baptized this week because she would have needed to come to church here first. But, the Lord put everything into place and we were able to experience a huge miracle!! :) Mom, her name is Cristina Ayala :) And in the end, our zone broke the record with divine help and we ended up with 25 people baptized and 18 people confirmed. I am just so happy :) Now these 25 people need to remain faithful and firm forever and help others to come unto Christ! That is my desire! I know that God lives and that His Son Jesus Christ changes lives. His Atonement makes everything possible and I am so grateful to have made eternal friends here in Argentina with God´s help.
This Sunday when we were going to pick up the Rocha family to go to church, we entered their house and the mom Rosario was preparing all her little kids to leave somewhere. We asked her where they were all going and she told us that they were going to church!! :) :) She sometimes comes but not very often, and this time she wanted to bring ALL her children! So the entire Rocha family (Rosario, Yoselin, Roberto, Papito, Diego, Fernanda, Natalia, Lautaro, Marco, Carlos and his two kids) came to church :) The only ones that didn´t come were Alejandra because she is still in the hospital getting better and the dad who is great but needs to be pushed around sometimes ha :) Ah, it was such a sweet thing to see all of the Rocha family taking up almost two benches in the church. I loved it so much. I think Rosario is starting to see how much the Gospel really does bless families and she is starting to notice the changes. I hope that she will get married quickly so that she will be able to be baptized as well and then enter the temple. That would be the best joy ever. Alejandra got an infection and is staying in the hospital until she is better. Pray for her! Her baby boy is doing great though! :) Also, Marco received the Priesthood on Sunday! He came in his shirt and tie and looked so good! Kevin and Brian both blessed the sacrament as well! All these special moments that i will never forget. The greatest thing to see as a missionary is the people recent converts progressing towards greater things and greater covenants. The Lord is blessing us and blessing them so much.
Just a funny thing that happened the other day. We were telling a lady the apartment number of a member that she knew. The member lives in D2. I was trying to tell her "d as in..." so that she could understand better (it is super cold here and I can´t talk when I am cold because my lips are numb haha). Instead of saying "d as in..." something in spanish that starts with a "d", I told her "d" as in perro. Because I was thinking of dog and dog in spanish is perro...that was embarassing haha. I explained and they laughed and so did I so it was all good in the end. I am still having spanish problems haha.
The weeks just keep getting better and better. Of course there are many hardships and trials as well, but it is hard to see them because God is blessing us so much. I know that he is directing this work and that His children are loved. I love these people and can feel that God loves them too. I am living my dream. Thank you all so much for everything. You are all the best and I love you all so so so much!! :) Keep moving forward and have a great week!
Con Amor, Hermana Syphus :)
PS
Hey! :) I had a whole list of people to write today and all the things I wanted to say, but guess what?! Another pday that went so stinkin fast! Since our zone met and passed by a long shot our goal for baptisms this month so we had to celebrate according to the zone leaders. We went to a different area about 20 minutes away and played soccer and ate pizza. It was a good time :) I really miss emailing what and who I want to though. But anyway, I am doing ok :) Is joel home right now? I wanted to see if I could just chat with him for like 5 to 10 minutes. I can´t believe I wont see home for another 2 years. I got teary eyed last night thinking about that. It is going to be hard. He will be a completely different person! But it will be the best thing ever as well :) Also! Do you know when Kortnie´s birthday is? I know it was this month but I can´t remember the day! Maybe you could look on facebook? Also, this is very random, but I think I will have time to send pics today (from my comps camera) and I KNOW for a fact that I have gained, it is totally in my face, but I just wanted to tell you so you are not surprised :) I am trying to lose it but it is not working. The food here is killing me haha
On Sunday, 4 people were baptized from our ward :) 
Three of them are part of the same family and are from the elders! 
So awesome and so special!!  
 My comp and I with Cristina and the bishop! :) Such a great miracle

Our zone after playing soccer, we took a picture of us jumping. I can´t really do it ha.
Since we beat the zone goal of baptisms in a month, our zone leaders decided to play soccer during our p-day. 

                                 

 Our zone Chacabuco in the chapel in La Boca
 KEVIN AND BRIAN!! The cutest brothers ever
Roberto, Carlos, and Marco. 
Ok, this picture looks so good. These three look like they could be a band or something. 
It was a sunday when we took it and Marco still had his shirt and tie. 
But really, I love this picture
Such great sons of God these three. 
Roberto's 18th birthday celebration.

Roberto and his cake that Yoselin made! Vamos San Lorenzo!! :) 
 We went to his house and shared cake with them! 
I LOVE THE ROCHA FAMILY SO MUCH






No comments:

Post a Comment